Have you ever heard a word in passing that makes you stop in your tracks and brings to mind countless memories? It’s crazy how one simple word can immediately cue deep nostalgia within us.
That word for me is CAMP.
When I hear it, a flood of memories from summers past rushes in and carries me down memory lane. The memories start with Camp Cosby, a YMCA camp for kids that I grew up going to. Then next stop is Kid’s Camp with my church throughout my elementary years. Then we mosey on over to Youth Camp as a teenager. Then onto my college years and my summers working Student Life camps all around the country. And here I am now, with the sweet privilege of planning and leading our students at THSM camps each summer.
Now you probably are now taking a walk down your own memory lane, full of memories of summers past and camp adventures. Take a second…
Okay, let’s reel it back in. Why do we love camp? Why do we have all of these fond memories that overcome us when we think about camp?
I don’t know about you, but for me, every single one of my camp experiences is much more than a fond memory of sweet summertime days, but is instead characterized by a huge spiritual marker in my life–
- Camp is a place where I saw God more clearly for who He is and who I am in Him.
- Camp is a place where I was intentionally discipled and poured into by older, wiser women.
- Camp is a place where I walked in deep community with fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.
- Camp is a place where the Word came to life and was actually exciting and engaging to me.
- Camp is a place where we gathered together as the broken people of God and worshipped Him in a real and raw way.
- Camp is a place where I stepped away from normal routine and made space for God to move and speak in my life.
- Camp is a place where God continued to mold my understanding of who He is in light of the Gospel, and then launch me back into “normal life,” completely transformed by His Spirit as a result.
This is why we, as a staff, want your student to sign up for camp. We are firm believers that the Lord gladly moves and changes hearts and lives through camp ministry. It is our desire that THSM Camp 2015 would not just be another event that brings back fun memories one day to students or a week where they learn how to “be a better Christian,” but that God would use this week to truly challenge their understanding of the Gospel and completely transform them as a result. And we want your student to be apart of this!!!
Here are the details for THSM Camp 2015–
- Date: June 19th – June 23rd
- Location: Carolina Creek on Lake Livingston
- Price: originally $449 per student, but
- Early Rate: if you register before JUNE 1ST, you will get the early rate of $399.
- 50/50 Deal: The first 50 Heights students to register with a friend that is a guest to THSM can register in person and both receive an additional $50 savings! That is $100 savings to bring the price of camp down to $349 per students.
- We have tried to supplement the total camp budget to make THSM Camp 2015 as affordable as possible. At THSM, we never want finances to be the reason someone doesn’t attend an event. We have scholarships available to help meet financial needs. There are scholarship forms available on our website!
So now what? Head on over to www.THSM.org to sign up for THSM Camp 2015!!!
**We would love to hear your favorite memories and spiritual markers from your camp experiences growing up! Comment below.**
This post was written by Mollie Tyler, the Height’s Students Girls Minister. Mollie has been on staff since June 2014 and thanks God constantly for the opportunity to shepherd the flock of girls He has graciously entrusted to her. Some of Mollie’s favorite things are crafting, baking, people, adventures, and seeing the Kingdom advance all around her.